I’ve always wanted to ride and run further and faster so when I noticed Further Faster business on Instagram and then met said business owners, I knew I might not run any faster but they would certainly make me look good.
Amazing gear for the outdoor enthusiast and now tip-top doggie outdoor gear (I know I know we bring you everything) Further Faster are setting their sights on good gear, good prices and right here in beautiful New Zealand and I wanted to let you know about them. I love being outside and I love new stuff but I sometimes get a bit stuck with some of the limited choice we have here being at the end of the earth. Problem be gone! Rocky and Julz are epic in all proportions, not only do they look for the best in gear whether you’re an outdoor expert scaling Mount Everest or just making that first step outside with your new puppy, your mum would be proud you kept your back warm and toasty in their good good stuff. July is also the epic coordinator of #snapperschristchurch. A photography group for anyone! Get in touch here.
- Further Faster- who are you? I’m Rocky and rest of the team consists of my wife and parter in crime Julz and our massive pup Badger. We are a independent outdoor company selling gear for humans and dogs. I am also a Kiwi living and loving Yorkshireman.
- What was your dream for starting this business? I have been working in this industry since I was 17 years old and I still cant think of anything else I would rather do. I love working with independent retailers and brands who live, breath, use and make the fantastic product that gets us into the mountains. Starting FurtherFaster was a different game though, as it was the first time being self employed.
- Who is your buyer? Who wears the gear you sell? I buy all the gear and work with kiwi buyers at a range of outdoor stores. Our gear is adventure based and has evolved from being just outdoor apparel to catering for all sorts of adventures including those with your dog! Skiers and snowboarders, mountaineers, adventure racers, long distance mountain runners, trampers who want to pack light and who love quality. Ruffwear for dogs is popular with hunters, trail runners, animal physios’s and adventure dog lovers.
- What’s your favourite Winter activity? What’s your favourite piece for that? Snowboarding… Splitboarding actually- got to earn your turns! I am totally rocking the Allez Micro Hoody and the Hi-Q Jacket at the moment. Julz ski’s, and we both love heading out for a winter romp up in the Canterbury Hills with Badger for some snowshoeing and snow ball fights. Also did I mention slow roast meats and some beefy shiraz?
- Where are you based? What do you love about it? South Island! We love it here. We were skeptical at first about moving to Christchurch after the earthquakes, but it made sense for business and also that we have so many places to ski so close of a major hub. After a few years I can tell you that Christchurch has exceeded all expectations. Amazing mountain biking, hiking, snow sports. Amazing farmers markets (Riccarton Bush on a Saturday morning- you gotta go!) and solid resilient people. Also we have the best dog park on the planet with epic views of the alps and the ocean all the way to Kaikoura… If you are a adventure dog loving person head to Victoria Park on a Saturday for a dose of hound happiness followed by some trail running or mtn biking.
- Tell us about the brands you stock. Why them? Montane; it is technical and super lightweight mountain apparel without compromise on quality. I have worked with these guys since they started in the UK in 1993. Jake and his crew are still as passionate about making the best gear possible after all these years. Ruffwear Performance Gear for Dogs is a rad brand from the USA. It is tough, fun and technical. Point6 Socks, is a US company owned by Peter and Patty Duke who started the merino wool sock revolution all those years ago. These days the wool is from Glenbrook Station near Twizel who are also the importers. Made in the USA and they are tough and comfy as. Aarn Packs, designed by Aarn himself in Christchurch are totally different to anything else on the market.
- What do you love about Queenstown? The accessibility of it all. I love it how you walk down town after a day of epic adventures and you can see the smiles on everyones faces. Everyone has had an epic adventure- some people it is summiting a mountain, riding down from the Gondola, back country skiing, a day wine tasting or that first day riding the magic carpet at the Remarks. Doesn’t matter because for everyone it is their own epic. All that energy flows through the town and ripples through making everyone feel great. I also love the wild goats roaming around the edge of town….
- Favourite secret place in Queenstown? Going for a bike ride during the summer along the trails in the Gibbston Valley, buying a nice bottle of red and having an picnic amongst the vines… But for me any stash of fresh snow during winter, but I can’t tell you where – No friends on a powder day!
What’s your favourite walk? We love Tobins, Sam Summers and Roys Peak in Wanaka!