I am shouting this from the rooftops, from the top of my car, from inside the fridge (the actual fridge, not the one I call my home) “I LOVE GAY SKI WEEK QUEENSTOWN.” All it represents, all it does, all the hard work that it takes to bring it here to this small town that many of us call home. Sally and Mandy are the absolute epitome (I had alphabet soup for breakfast) of everything gay (yes!) amazing, hardworking and fun. This in a nutshell is Gay Ski Week Queenstown. (There’s also the dancing, the glitter, the bare chests and small pants) for the whole week of August 29th- 5th September you can expect nothing less that the best that Queenstown has to offer.
So for your dancing-shoe, glitter infused, Queer/Straight/Bi/ Transgendered-selves I’ve picked my top 5 for you to get amongst, book and dive right into. Do it now because the tickets won’t stick around and I don’t want anyone crying over their false eyelashes in the supermarket. It’ll make your mascara run love, and we don’t want that do we?
If you’ve never visited Queenstown before you’re in for a treat. Not only is there the skiing, there’s amazing food, drink, wine, music, nightlife, cafes, shopping, casinos, leisurely walks, bike rides, gyms, throwing yourself off everything high for those who like action packed thrills. Your head is going to fall off.
1) Cabaret. A night of cabaret at The Skyline. Be whisked away to the top of the gondola to see the beautiful lights of Queenstown and breathe it all in. A lovely dinner and cabaret followed by the amazing local band The Golightlies. There will be glamour, there will be dancing and there will be tears when you realise you can’t live up there forever.
2) Highlands Motorsport Park. Got something to settle on the track? This is where I lose myself in all things fast and furious. A day of speed dating, wine tasting, Go-kart racing and the chance to pretend you’re Jensen Button. Or someone who looks like Jensen after 2 wines. I have my leathers at the ready.
3) Life’s a Beach. It’s the penultimate night, it’s a cracker and there’s a BBQ and a DJ. A chance to discuss your costume for the final party, bitch about who looks good in what and get ready for a cracker! Don’t go and overdose on the gluwein though as tomorrow’s the final party.
4) The Rees Dinner Experience. Champagne, canapés and an amazing 5 course dinner with matching wines, The Rees is so posh they might not even let me in. It’s sleek, sumptuous and so so good. You even get to look in their private wine cellar. They are definitely not letting me go in there. But you should, you should!
5) Final Party. The theme is ‘Once Upon a Time’ where you’ll see me dressed up as the
wicked witch of the west a gorgeous fairy with my best wings on and a glass or two in my hand. What an amazing week and what an amazing venue to host the final goodbyes. Who’s best on the dance floor and who’s got the best costume on after 4 gin and tonics? DJ Kate Monroe (SYD) has been brought back by popular demand to get everyone dancing into the wee hours. Will you find your Prince/ Princess Charming?
Check EVERYTHING and I mean everything out here.