Whenever Winter Festival (19th-28th June) rolls around I always scream “it was only here 5 minutes ago, I love that festival” and run screaming for the programme. I’m always under prepared for Winter, it is the meanest season with it’s “ha ha it’s minus 5 and it’s 9am” threats. Therefore I usually hide under the bed until November. (You think I’m kidding, I found $10 under there the other Tuesday).
BUT, I always always get out and do something for Winter Festival. It’s fun, everyone is out and about, wrapped up and there’s men. Men in underpants throwing themselves in Lake Wakatipu. What could go wrong? And don’t get me started on the mulled wine.
Excitedly, I have cobbled together for your perusal, my picks of this year. If you’re a first timer or you’ve been here for ages it doesn’t matter. You’ll meet someone new, have a mulled wine hangover at work at least once and lose a glove. I always lose a glove. So go book some stuff, because the tickets disappear like, well, said glove. Maybe it’s under my bed….
1) Inspiring Winter Celebrations with Susan Elijas. 24th June sees Susan (who has featured in NZ House and Garden and Good Magazine) teach us how to get cozy and creative with our Winter table decorations. Amaze your friends at your next mid-Winter dinner and then invite me round. Check her out here.
2) The American Express Winter Wonderland Ice Rink. It looks absolutely gorgeous at night and so much fun to be had falling on your bum. And trying to skate faster than the kids, how do they get so good? Check it out here and it’s there for the whole festival.
3) American Express Comedy Debate. I love to laugh. I love to laugh so much I pee (a little) and there’s always fun to be had at this evening.It’s where you see locals get out and about on the 20th June. Book here.
4) OtterBox Golden Mile. Work up a sweat throwing yourself through the streets of Queenstown for One. Solitary. Mile. Go on you can do it. Check it out here.
5) Pechu Kucha powered by MacPac. 20 slides; 20 seconds. Originating from Tokyo, Pecha Kucha is fast becoming an amazing way to talk about a subject in shortened form. Come see me embarrass myself as I try and stop talking too much! Find out about it here.
Queenstown is a MARVEL in Winter time. It’s all rugged up with people wandering around with their ski trousers on too low, but thank heavens for Winter Festival to put a smile on your dial.
Winter Festival is on 19th- 28th June.
0800 FESTIVAL (0800 337 8482)